Monday, April 28, 2008

Hugs

If you can't tell by now, I love hugs. There is nothing better than coming home everyday and getting hugs from my kids.
A few years ago I was watching Oprah, I can't remember what the topic was, but there was this lady on the show, telling Oprah how much she loved her kids and how blessed she was to have them. She talked about how she loved to do their laundry and clean up after them. Now don't get me wrong, I love my kids more than life itself, but I still haven't gotten to the point where I love to do their laundry and clean up after them. Anyway, she went on to say that when her kids come home from school, she always goes up to them and gives them a hug. Then she said something I will never forget. She said, "Whenever I give my kids a hug, I never let go first. I will stand there and hug them until they let go of me." That was one of those "aha" moments, as Oprah would say. I decided that I was going to try it. Courtney was the first one home that day. I went up to her and gave her a big hug, and I didn't let go.......I think we stood there for about 3 minutes before she finally let go. As she walked away, my eyes filled with tears and I wondered how many times I had just given her a quick hug and walked away thinking about all the things I had to do that day. Now, whenever I get the chance, I hug my kids and I never let go first. Sometimes we stand there for 2-3 minutes and sometimes they just give me a quick hug and walk away. I just take what I get and hope they never get tired of hugging me!

5 comments:

Marianne said...

Wow - I hope I can be a great mom of teenagers when the day comes. You have great kids and they love you which is the hard part!
I love you blog - hope you don't mind if I had you as a link so I can stay tuned...

Aimee said...

Welcome to the blogging world, Julie! I loved your thoughts on hugging. I'm going to try that!

Beverly said...

Woo hoo! I am so excited to keep up on your blog. Thanks for posting that about hugs. I am going to start doing it! I loved seeing the pics of the kids as babies. Courtney looked like Katie and Tyler looked so darling.

Kimberly said...

Julie,
I love your blog! I remember that Oprah too. Thanks for the reminder. I am looking forward to following the adventures of the Jonses!

Anonymous said...

That is such a great idea. I never would have thought of it. Thanks for sharing it. By the way - I love that you have a blog that we can check out (Casey loves blogging oddly enough)