Thursday, March 12, 2009

Scrumptious Swiss Oats

I am usually not one to blog about food, but I have become addicted to Swiss Oatmeal, so I thought I would share.

In my quest to cook and eat healthier food, I came across a television program one morning called Zonya's Health Bites. Zonya was a little over the top personality-wise, but she was cooking something that looked pretty healthy, so I decided to keep watching. We put her on Tivo and, although she is slightly annoying at times, she cooks some great, healthy meals. On one episode she made Swedish Oatmeal.

One Serving:

2/3 C. Old Fashioned Cooking Oats
2/3 C. Skim Milk
15 raisins (I just grab a small handful - Sean has to count out
exactly 15)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. honey

Stir together and refrigerate for up to 2o minutes, or overnight. (Zonya put fresh fruit in hers, I haven't tried that yet, I am a raisin lover!)

I had never eaten oatmeal that was not cooked in some form or another, so I was very skeptical. We made it that night and had it for breakfast the next morning and the rest is history. Katie (my pickiest eater) even likes it. She came home from school the other day and said that she liked it because she was usually starving by
3rd period, and since she has been eating this oatmeal, she hasn't been hungry until lunch time.

I make it so much that I have started keeping the dry ingredients in separate containers in my pantry. At night, I will just add milk and honey, put it in the fridge, and we have breakfast waiting for us in the morning.

If anyone is interested, Zonya's Health Bites is on Saturday mornings at 10am, on Channel 11.

10 comments:

Jen Bay said...

Do you heat it up in the morning or do you eat it cold from the fridge?

Julie Jones said...

Cold from the fridge - weird but delicious.

Jaden said...

I love oatmeal! I'll have to try it!

LM said...

That sounds good, I will definitely try it. Sabrina is not much of a breakfast eater so I am always trying to find something that she will enjoy.

CJ said...

This would even work for me -- really work since half the time I end up taking my breakfast with me to work. Thanks for the heads up.

Aimee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beverly said...

Thanks for the recipe. I made it and the kids (three of the kids) ate it. They wanted it warm, so I just put it in the microwave. I ate mine warm the first time, but then cold after that--I really like it. And, it is so healthy. I have made it twice since Sunday. Thanks for sharing it.

Jane E. said...

What a great recipe! I can't wait to try it - you can give me recipes you find any time. You have always given me delicious ones! You are a great friend - we need to hang out again soon - outside of work that is!

p.s. why would someone tell you if they didn't like this recipe? weird....

Marianne said...

Love, love, love Zonya! I've tried a few of her recipes and have had some success. I am perplexed by her hairstyle and clothes. I keep thinking the show was filmed 10 years ago. But she does have great advice that is actually doable!

Aimee said...

Okay, so after the rave reviews of your recipe, I've decided that Matt must've done something wrong when he made it for me. I'm going to try it for myself using the recipe on your blog. Maybe then I'll be a believer!!