Friday, May 23, 2008

The Accident

I have decided that I will never make fun of my husband in a blog again! Not more than 2 minutes had passed since I hit 'Publish Post', than the phone rang and a police officer was on the line telling me that Sean had been in an accident.

It was Monday night around 10pm. Earlier that evening, Sean had decided to go on a quick training ride on his bicycle. As he was heading North on 2700 West, he was broadsided by a small black car. Sean went under the front of the car and was dragged 15-20 yards before the car came to a stop. Luckily, a man that lived nearby ran to get a jack so they could get the car off of him.

Photobucket

Because of that, the paramedics were afraid of internal injuries and had a helicopter on the way to take him to the University of Utah Hospital. I arrived on the scene as they were strapping him up and loading him into the fire truck to wait for the helicopter. I was a nervous wreck, it was the most horrible feeling in the world, not knowing what had happened and fearing the worst.

I felt a little better after seeing that Sean was conscious and able to talk. He was even rolling his eyes and telling everyone that he didn't need a helicopter. But they didn't listen...

Photobucket

He was flown to the hospital where he had several x-ray's taken. They wanted to keep him overnight for observation, and the next morning we were told that his tailbone was broken.

Photobucket

Every police office, nurse and doctor I talked to, said how lucky we were that nothing more serious had happened to him. His guardian angels were working overtime to save him that night. We truly feel blessed.

The hardest part for Sean is his bike. He loved and cared for that thing like nothing else. He had just had it tuned up, and the chain replaced, to see it in pieces nearly broke his heart.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for all your love and support. We have such wonderful friends and family watching over and taking care of us.

5 comments:

Jaden said...

Justan told me about this the other day! WOW! I'm so glad he is alright, minus the broken tailbone (OUCH!). If there is anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to ask!

Marianne said...

Count your lucky stars! We're so glad he survived and that you can tell us all about it!

CJ said...

I can understand your feelings Monday night. I have never been so glad to see a battered, but alive son in my life. Ross said I shouldn't look at the bike the other night and he was right. Love you and your family soooo much.

michele84084 said...

Oh my gosh Julie! That is really scary. I'm glad the only broken thing is his bum. Still- broken tailbones are not fun (I've busted mine twice). I think I'd like to borrow Sean's guardian angel sometime!

Beverly said...

We are so glad that he is okay. I know what you mean about teasing him. It's hard because he is so much fun to tease. I felt bad for him when we came back yesterday. He was fiddling around with stuff in the garage--just trying to find something to occupy himself with.